Students employed at The College of New Jersey must complete a biweekly Student Time Report in order to receive payment for hours worked. It is the supervisor’s responsibility to ensure the accuracy of the information indicated on the time report and the timeliness of the payment.
In order for a student to receive a time report they must complete the hiring process following all student employment policies and procedures. Time reports will be sent via interoffice mail to campus departments by the beginning of the pay period. Time reports should be returned to the Payroll Office on the Tuesday following the completion of the pay period.
Time Report Requirements
- Hours worked must be entered on the time report by recording the arrived/left time by the appropriate day. Lunch and break periods should also be recorded but not included in the hours worked column as these do not represent paid hours.
- The total hours for each day worked should be recorded in the hours column to the right of the arrived/left column.
- Total hours for the pay period should be recorded in the total hours area.
- Total hours should also be recorded in the slugging area of the time report and darkened using a pencil. Any corrections to this area should be made with an erasure.
- Do not fold or staple time reports or make any markings on the bar code at the bottom of the time report.
- The student employee should verify the accuracy of the time report and sign on the last day they worked in the pay period. If the student is not available to sign the time report by the Tuesday following the completion of the pay period it should be forwarded to the Payroll Office with the supervisor’s signature.
- Supervisors must verify the accuracy of the time report and sign the report before returning it to the Payroll Office.
- Students should not work more than 15 hours a week while school is in session and not more than 40 hours a week during semester breaks.
- Minors under 18 cannot work more than 6 consecutive days in one week, more than 40 hours in one week or more than 8 hours in one day. No minor under 18 is permitted to work for more than 5 hours continuously without an interval of at least thirty minutes for a lunch period.
Termination of Employment
If a student terminates employment prior to their scheduled termination date the supervisor must notify Career Services. Time reports will no longer be produced once the termination date is entered in EIS (Employee Information System).
Lost Time Reports
If a student employee cannot locate their time report and have completed the hire process through Career Services they should contact the Payroll Office at extension 3450 or email@example.com.
Changes to mailing labels, check distribution numbers, or time keep numbers should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.